Global Development Incubator (GDI) is a network of locally-owned and independently-managed global partners with a shared mission for creating impact at scale through systems change.
Established in 2015, GDI East Asia achieves this mission by being a long-term partner of the largest foundations and non-profit organisations to design and scale impactful initiatives across 6 portfolios:
- Poverty Alleviation
- Youth and Education
- Mental Health
- Migration and Livelihoods
- Disability Inclusion
- Strategic Philanthropy Sector Building
Our track record across Asia includes:
- Shaped over 800m USD in strategic philanthropic grant-making across Education, Health / Mental Health, Poverty Alleviation, Philanthropic Sector Building;
- Technical partner to Narada Foundation’s Exponential Philanthropy Multiplier platform that has achieved 49,477 replications of social sector interventions across 8,607 local partners, reaching 65m beneficiaries and mobilising ~127m USD;
- Incubation partner to the Urban Graduation Approach poverty alleviation project (created and funded by HKJC Charities Trust) that will enhance employability, family capacity and financial literacy for 4,200 underprivileged households, across 25 transitional housing sites in 11 districts;
- Strategic partner to Jan Sahas (Migrants Resilience Collaborative) in India since 2018, enabling a 62x growth from 30k beneficiaries p.a. to ~1.92m p.a., with a cumulative total of over 3m internal migrant families accessing social security (cash and non-cash benefits), unlocking over 100m USD in Government benefits across ~94 districts in 13 states.
GDI East Asia is a team of 12 and is looking to hire a proven Manager / Senior Manager to work across its impact portfolios. Managers at GDI are portfolio managers, leading the strategy and execution of one or more portfolios toward impact at scale over the longer term. Being a manager consists of the following roles:
- Builder: Entrepreneurially design and lead an initiative, taking an idea all the way from strategy development to program design to long-term execution;
- Collaborator: Facilitate collaboration and partnership with trusted partners, including leading foundations, non-profit organisations and governments;
- Strategist: Develop creative hypotheses and conduct research and analysis to identify the highest leverage opportunities to achieve impact at scale in any given issue area;
- Learner: Constantly evaluate the on-the-ground impact of initiatives to drive continuous improvement and demonstrate progress toward impact at scale;
- Coach: Actively support the professional development of Associates / Senior Associates.
- Generally has 8+ years of professional experience in private sector (strategy consulting, in-house strategy development / general management) and/or social sector (leading foundation or NGO doing strategy development, grantmaking, program design or program management);
- Demonstrated success in managing and executing initiatives, preferably with a focus on social impact with scale and sustainability;
- Proven ability to collaborate across multiple-stakeholders, preferably with foundations and non-profits;
- Full working proficiency in Cantonese and English; Mandarin is a bonus.
Character / personality traits required:
- Impact and mission driven;
- Entrepreneurial and comfortable with ambiguity, results-oriented;
- Self-motivated and driven to achieve excellence, consistently pushing boundaries to achieve better outcomes;
- Self-aware and naturally curious with a problem-solving mindset.
- Strategic Problem-solving: Excellent analytical thinking, dissecting complex problems and employing structured frameworks to analyze data effectively. Creativity and innovation, devising novel solutions for unique challenges. Genuine interest in the social sector and a strong passion to create meaningful and sustainable solutions for societal challenges.
- Results Orientation: Track record of sustained success, creating positive impact at scale. A self-starter who will proactively set stretch goals, is organized and can problem solve in a complex environment. Demonstrated strength working in fast-paced environments while navigating through dynamic challenges.
- Collaboration and Influencing skills: An ability to influence and build trust and lasting relationships with diverse stakeholders. Excellent listening, verbal, written and presentation communication skills and ability to engage all types of audiences. Confidence to comfortably contribute at the most senior level – in both the government and private sector alike.
- People Leadership: Ability to develop team members to grow to their potential, set and communicate goals, measure accomplishments, foster a strong work ethic. Ability to instill a sense of ownership and commitment to the pursuit of excellence in all tasks undertaken. Ability to harness the collective talents and abilities of the GDI team to drive success and deliver value to both partners and GDI’s own growth as an organisation.
Why join GDI:
- See your impact at scale AND accelerate your professional development: you will design and build initiatives that address unsolved and unmet social issues at scale, inside of a top-tier environment, which prioritises your professional development;
- Join a mission-driven, collaborative, authentic culture: no politics, we are passionate, direct and candid, where the best ideas win (regardless of seniority).
- Please send your cover letter and resume (English and Chinese in one PDF document) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications are processed on a rolling basis, so it is beneficial to apply as early as possible