About GOYN: Global Opportunity Youth Network (GOYN) is a multi-stakeholder initiative hosted at the Aspen Institute’s Forum for Community Solutions. GOYN is committed to catalysing place-based systems shifts in communities – cities and rural districts – around the world through the creation of sustainable economic opportunities for “Opportunity Youth,” (OY) aged 15-29 who are out of school, unemployed, or underemployed. Created in 2018, GOYN’s current network comprises nine communities in India, Africa, and Latin America, which together represent over four million such young people. Over the next decade, GOYN aims to improve the lives of millions of young people, build community-based Collaboratives that coordinate work to improve the youth employment ecosystem and catalyse systemic shifts to accelerate youth participation, opportunity, and equity, thereby ultimately contributing to more peaceful and vibrant communities. In 2023, GOYN will expand its network in India to 10 new locations across the country.
GOYN engages multiple partners and stakeholders across communities, from young people and local NGOs to employers, funders, and consultants. At the global level, GOYN is supported by a group of technical and funding partners, including Aspen Institute, Global Development Incubator, Accenture, YouthBuild International, Prudential Financial Inc., and Catholic Relief Services as well as a number of other philanthropic partners. Work in each community is anchored by a backbone organisation – an Anchor Partner (AP) – who facilitates coordination and collaboration of youth engagement initiatives across the community.
Overview of the Role: GDI is seeking to recruit a Youth Engagement Associate whose main responsibility will be capacity building of GOYN Anchor Partner staff and youth leaders through ongoing engagement and support. This will include relationship and partnership building with stakeholders including youth across the community and the wider global network, documentation of learnings and best practices, development and dissemination of capacity-building tools and activities, driving global initiatives including the Youth Innovation Fund and Equity Leadership Programs through calls and in-person meetings and workshops, and supporting design and launch of new youth engagement initiatives. The Associate will also support project management of the Annual GOYN Youth Convening – including gathering AP and youth inputs on agenda and speakers, developing materials and communications, organising planning meetings, and capturing learnings.
The Youth Engagement Associate will report to the Senior Advisor GOYN, Global Opportunity Youth Leadership and work closely with the Regional Relationship Manager, young leaders, and Anchor Partners.
Note: This role will involve significant external consultations with global stakeholders and will require a work schedule that can periodically accommodate calls slightly earlier or later than usual work hours.
Ongoing support to local youth engagement efforts
- Provide TA and ongoing support to AP Youth Engagement Coordinators via calls and in-person meetings and workshops
- Support onboarding, orientation, and training related to GOYN’s Youth Engagement portfolio, for new AP staff
- Help refine and contextualise GOYN’s capacity-building tools offerings to enhance support to regional youth leadership efforts
- Support design of new strategic youth engagement and partnership activities through local research, coordinating design meetings and preparing related presentations/materials
- Support capacity building of young leaders to participate in local youth leadership initiatives, global YAG calls, webinars, and the GOYN global convening
- Document learnings and value created by youth engagement efforts
Participation in global youth engagement efforts
- Support regional roll-out, management, and learning related to the Global Youth Innovation Fund and the Equity Leadership Program such that it is integrated across all implementation/pathways work in each community
- Contribute to planning for annual global youth-led convening and periodic youth webinars and workshops
- Coordinate and help facilitate meetings of the Global Youth Engagement Community of Practice and Youth Advisory Groups across the GOYN
Required skills and experience:
- Candidate must be an Indian national with 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Passion for issues of youth opportunity, equity & justice, and dignified work for all
- Ability to exercise professional discretion, judgment, and diplomacy
- Excellent interpersonal skills – the ability to engage diverse stakeholders, most critically youth
- Desire to learn, ability to think flexibly and multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent attention to detail, personal organisation, and time management
- Experience with developing and reading program budgets
- Excellent written and oral communication in English and Hindi
- Proficient in MS Office, and other workplace technology such as Slack, Box, Trello, etc.
- Ability and willingness to travel periodically as needed
The successful candidate will be based out of India, with a preference for candidates based in Mumbai. This is a work-from-home position, with an expectation of frequent visits to GOYN communities in India (across Maharashtra, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, Odisha, Chhattisgarh and Uttar Pradesh).
The Global Development Incubator is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, colour, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Interested candidates who meet the desired qualification are encouraged to submit their Cover Letter and CV using the link here. Early applications are strongly encouraged and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications must be received by 23rd June 2023. Late applications will not be considered. Only Indian nationals are eligible to apply.
While we thank all applicants for expressing interest in the role, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.