GDI is an incubator for transformational development ventures, working to build and scale the next generation of social impact solutions. From climate to agriculture, health to economic inclusion, we build across sectors to drive game-changing impact at scale. Whether the concepts originate from sector experts, or are developed and tested ourselves, we create new approaches to address persistent global issues.
Over 12-36 months, we deploy our functional teams to help early-stage initiatives design their business strategy and model, develop their brand identity, hire and retain talent, and construct their financial and operational infrastructure.
Since our founding in 2013, GDI has built a significant track record in our field, having now shaped over 40 social impact ventures.
GDI is currently seeking an inquisitive, self-motivated individual looking to expand their knowledge in international development nonprofit operations. The ideal candidate will be someone with 3+ years of experience (preferably in a nonprofit/international organization) and who is interested in broadening their nonprofit management skills and/or gaining experience with social impact start-up organizations. While a background or familiarity with human resources, operations, and/or international donor funding would be a plus, it is more important for the individual to have an entrepreneurial mindset, a creative/collaborative approach to problem solving, and the ability to balance planning with taking action. As such, candidates without deep technical knowledge are nonetheless encouraged to apply if they can demonstrate an ability to rapidly gain/synthesize knowledge on the job.
The Senior Associate – Operations and Human Resources provides support for the finance, operations, and talent teams and ensures effective day-to-day operations, subcontracting and subaward management for GDI, its subsidiaries (5), and other incubated initiatives (10-15 at various stages of incubation). This role will be responsible for supporting a suite of operations and human resources activities and ensuring those activities uphold GDI’s policies and procedures, donor requirements, and industry best practices. The position requires initiative and resourcefulness in creative problem solving, analyzing trends and patterns to propose new procedures, and maintaining strong relationships with internal and external customers. Coordination across teams will be essential to keep the organization running smoothly. Like every position at GDI, staff are expected to exercise a high degree of autonomy and take on significant responsibility.
- Supports GDI/initiative subcontracting activities, including: reviewing procurement documentation, providing procurement and contract management guidance to staff, drafting/negotiating subcontracts, ensuring subcontractor compliance with policies, procedures, and/or donor requirements, and maintaining proper files
- Works with regional entities, subsidiaries, and/or incubated initiatives to draft and implement subawards, including: Conducting pre-award risk assessments and other due diligence activities for subrecipients and tailoring agreements to level of risk and donor requirements
- Provides high quality, timely support to GDI, subsidiary, and initiative staff as well as external partners, stakeholders, and clients
- Supports business operations launch activities under the guidance of the Associate Director of Operations and Chief Financial Officer
Deploy and guide GDI/subsidiary/initiative staff on how to follow policies/procedures, using reasonable discretion and with the support of the Finance & Operations team and their direct supervisor.
- Assists with donor due diligence activities on behalf of GDI, its initiatives and subsidiaries
- Implements, and monitors systems for tracking and storing procurement documentation, subcontracts, and deliverables
- Perform other duties as assigned
Responsibilities (Human Resources/Talent)
- Support recruitment efforts to fill vacant positions for GDI, its subsidiaries, and initiatives
- Coordinates new employee orientation and onboarding for GDI, its subsidiaries, and initiatives
- Assists with employee benefits administration for GDI, its subsidiaries, and initiatives
- Manages compliance trainings processes (i.e. diversity, equity, and inclusion and harassment prevention)
- Supports performance review processes at GDI, its subsidiaries, and initiatives
- Perform other employee lifecycle duties as assigned
- An interest in learning new skills and a curious and entrepreneurial mindset
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent and a minimum of three years of progressive experience in a related position
- Familiarity with one or more of the following:
- Subcontracting, procurement, and subawards under prime agreements issued by the U.S. government, foreign governments, and/or private foundations,
- Recruitment, talent management, or other areas related to human resources
- Operations management in a nonprofit organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Razor-sharp problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skill and attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills with proven ability to meet deadlines
- Proven aptitude to manage and juggle many competing priorities is essential
- A relentless drive to get things done
- Able to move fluidly between collaborative and independent work styles
- Adept at making assessments quickly and identifying the best course of actionNote: GDI is only able to consider candidates who are legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship for an employment visa.
- Familiarity with FAR, AIDAR, and 2 CFR 200
- Experience working with non-U.S. partners and implementer
- Interest in and commitment to social entrepreneurship and international development
This position reports to the Associate Director of Operations.
Salary Range: $70,000 – $85,000
Location: Note that this position is a permanent remote/telework position. While it is slightly preferred that the candidate live in the Washington, DC metro area, there is no location requirement.
If you are interested in this position and meet the qualifications above, please submit a single PDF document containing a one-page cover letter and resume. Please note that the cover letter is considered an important aspect of the application and will be evaluated against the qualifications above. Applications that do not include a cover letter will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Global Development Incubator is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.