About this job
Global Development Incubator (GDI) is an incubator for transformational development ventures, working to build and scale the next generation of social impact solutions. From climate to agriculture, health to economic inclusion, we build across sectors to drive game-changing impact at scale. Whether the concepts originate from sector experts or are developed and tested ourselves, we create new approaches to address persistent global issues.
Over 12-36 months, we deploy our functional teams to help early-stage initiatives design their business strategy and model, develop their brand identity, hire and retain talent, and construct their financial and operational infrastructure.
Since our founding in 2013, GDI has built a significant track record in our field, having now shaped over 40 social impact ventures.
The Staff Accountant will support a growing Finance and Operations team at an efficient and high-performing international organization. This role will be responsible for accurately maintaining the organization’s accounting records, along with the accounting records of a selection of our subsidiaries and incubated initiatives. The position requires initiative and resourcefulness in problem solving, analyzing trends and patterns to propose new procedures, and maintaining strong relationships with internal and external customers. Like every position at GDI, staff are expected to exercise a high degree of autonomy while assuming significant responsibility and are strongly encouraged to make recommendations to strengthen their work and the organization.
This position offers the opportunity to provide critical early stage contributions to new organizations that are posed to make significant impact by exploring new solutions to solve key social issues.
This position reports to the Controller.
- Perform the full cycle of accounts payable and disbursements functions ensuring timely payments and accurate recordkeeping
- Perform the full cycle of accounts receivable and receipts functions ensuring timely processing and accurate recordkeeping
- Develop and maintain electronic filing systems for accounting files
- Manage accounting schedules, perform bank reconciliation, payroll allocation, prepare and enter month-end closing entries, including allocation of costs and recognition of revenue
- Monitor project expenditure to ensure compliance with budget, internal policies, grant terms, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Support financial oversight of sub-recipients, assuring the reasonableness of expenditures, compliance with budget, grant terms, and GAAP
- Support the annual audit and preparation of tax forms and filings
- Provide additional support to the Finance and Operations team as needed
- A Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting, and a minimum of 2-3 years of progressive experience in a similar position
- Advanced Excel skills and experience with QuickBooks or other accounting systems required
- Proficiency with General Accepted Accounting Principles required
- Excellent organization, attention to detail, and data management skills required
- Excellent time management skills with proven ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to explain complex technical information in simple terms to different stakeholders is required
- Strong desire to learn new skills and comfort working in an evolving environment
- Proven aptitude to manage and juggle many competing priorities is essential
- Able to move fluidly between collaborative and independent work styles
- Curious and entrepreneurial mindset
- Experience with 2 CFR 200, experience with FAR and AIDAR desirable
- Experience working with non-U.S. donors, partners, and implementers
- Interest in and commitment to social entrepreneurship and international development
Salary range: $70,000 – $80,000
Application Process: Qualified candidates are required to submit their applications, including a detailed CV and a cover letter, outlining their interest in this position and why they would be a good fit. Please note that the cover letter is considered an important aspect of the application and will be evaluated against the qualifications above. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Global Development Incubator is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Now hiring at GDI and our incubated initiatives
If you have an idea, initiative, or organization that you think could work well with GDI, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.