About this job
When you join GDI, you join a unique team of mission-first pioneers who build start-ups, programs, funds, and partnerships to create impact at scale. We work with our partners end-to-end: from strategy to execution and incubation. We roll up our sleeves and work together with our partners for an average build phase of 12-36 months.
We have a growing portfolio in India focused on migration & livelihoods, technology and health, and we are looking to recruit a Senior Manager to be part of our Strategy and Design team, based in New Delhi or Mumbai. This role is perfect for ex strategy consultants who also have entrepreneurial / operational experience. We’re looking for proven engagement managers, now looking to get into venture building and scaling impact together with our partners on the ground.
For the first 1-2 years, this role will focus on our migration & livelihoods portfolio in India, working with our long-term partners to design and build a collaborative to drive systems change to benefit millions of migrant workers.
Migrant workers already faced an extremely challenging situation, and COVID-19 has exacerbated the problem. We are working with partners on a long term systems change effort to answer two big questions: 1) how can we scale delivery models of social security and entitlements for migrant workers and their families from tens of thousands per year to millions per year?; 2) How can we build an industry of responsible recruitment for migrant workers, starting with the construction and textile industries?
- Lead the strategy / hypothesis based problem solving together with our frontline partners to rapidly iterate and test design (people, process and technology) changes to achieve game-changing scale
- Design and support the day to day execution of field-based pilots to prove / disprove our hypotheses and develop an evidence-base on what works
- Develop thought leadership and proposals to influence policy and mobilise resources
- Build trust and form deep collaboration with our partners
- Support the leadership and talent development across all our partners
- Do whatever else is needed to get things done on the ground
- Demonstrated passion and experience in India’s social sector
- 7-10 years professional experience with the following:
- Experience in strategy consulting, with at least 2 years in an engagement manager / project leader role
- Expertise in our core issue areas highly preferred (migration, livelihoods, social security / social protection, responsible recruitment)
- Experience getting things done on the ground, with at least 1-2 years in start ups or in-house innovation teams; preferred experience in growth-hacking, design / user experience
- Prior experience with government engagement and technology deployment a plus
- Outstanding interpersonal presence and communication, demonstrated ability to build senior-level partner relationships
- Proven team player and strong mission alignment with GDI
- Spoken/written fluency in Hindi and English is required
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and close on September 25th, 2020 (HK Time)
- Please send your cover letter and resume in one PDF document (in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org using “Senior Manager, Strategy & Design” as the subject line.
- In your cover letter, please cite where you learned about this position.
What’s in it for you to join?
- Opportunity to be part of building and scaling the largest grassroots migration focused programs in India in a critical time in response to the COVID crisis
- Dynamic start-up culture and opportunity to work directly with senior leaders to get things done at scale
Now hiring at GDI and our incubated initiatives
If you have an idea, initiative, or organization that you think could work well with GDI, please contact email@example.com.