About this job
Be part of the team that brings impact at scale visions to reality.
When you join GDI, you join a unique team of mission-first pioneers who build start-ups, programs, funds, and partnerships to create impact at scale. Our East Asia portfolio works with partners who are as “all-in” as we achieve impact at scale across critical social issues in the region.
The Greater China region has massive impact potential, however the social sector is at a nascent and early stage. We work with our partners to build the sector through high impact initiatives from strategy to execution and incubation. We are highly selective and work with mission-aligned projects and partners over the longer term; our average engagement is 12-36 months.
Examples of the issues we are working on across Asia:
- Scaling access to social services for vulnerable children, elderly and disabilities in mainland China: China’s social sector is early stage, but rapidly growing and there is a need to scale access to social services through the development of the local non profit ecosystem. We continue our long-term partnership with Narada Foundation on EPM to demonstrate new models for scaling social impact in China through replication. In four years, EPM has supported 49,477 distinct “replications” through 8,607 local community partners, reaching ~65m beneficiaries.
- Preparing Hong Kong SAR and Greater China for the rapidly ageing population: We are working with funders in Hong Kong to co-create their strategy for addressing the ageing population challenge, including strategies to maximise impact on dementia preparedness.
- Making society more inclusive for persons with disabilities: We incubated the Disability Impact Fund which is aiming to make blended investments in assistive technology and inclusive employment. As an example of DIF’s investments, we are investing ~1m USD in a game-changing, ultra low-cost $1 USD cost of parts hearing aid to reach the 72m persons who need it. DIF looks for opportunities to bridge the “valley of death” between research to market to make sure assistive tech can be re-designed at the price point and distribution level required for low, middle income countries where the vast majority lack access.
- Improving the well-being and mental health of Hong Kong’s students: In the face of growing mental health challenges amongst students, we are working with funders to review efforts in Positive Education in Hong Kong to demonstrate how schools can focus both on student well-being and academic performance.
- Delivering social security to millions of internal migrant families in India: We are strategic partners to Jan Sahas to incubate the Migrants Resilience Collaborative (MRC) – a multi-stakeholder initiative reaching 10 million migrant workers and their families in 3 years to deliver social security, responsible recruitment and worker protection. Migrant families are amongst the hardest hit from the pandemic, and the social sector needs to respond with scale and speed.
In Greater China, we are looking to embark on our next stage of growth and are recruiting at two levels: associate/senior associate and senior manager. We are seeking professionals who are passionate about solving the most challenging social problems in the region.
We want to recruit a Senior Manager who will build and lead initiatives under the China portfolio, directly reporting to the Managing Director.
- Lead engagements and teams to deliver structured thinking, problem-solving, strategy development and a pathway to scale for initiatives in the Greater China portfolio
- Provide executive coaching and advisory to senior leaders in partner organizations
- Designing new ventures and initiatives to build in China and East Asia portfolio that has the potential to create impact at scale
- Oversee and manage the implementation of our initiatives, monitoring and evaluating of our impact along the way
- Coach our team in the strategy consulting toolkit and in the design, build/launch of new initiatives
- Oversee the team’s delivery of communications, reports and stakeholder management
- Cultivate key relationships with executives at leading foundations, corporates, funders
- Drive thought leadership and support business development in China
- Actively pitch new ideas/projects to develop the China portfolio
- Demonstrated passion to build the nascent social sector in Greater China over the long term and alignment with GDI’s core vision for impact at scale
- 7-10 years of professional experience with the following:
- Experience in strategy consulting, in-house strategy development, impact measurement and evaluation firms, foundations, accelerators/incubators/investment firms
- 3-5 years in strategy consulting or in-house strategy development (required), with at least 1 year in an engagement manager/project leader level role
- Proven team player and strong cultural fit with our values below
- Exceptional analytical (quantitative and qualitative) problem solving skills
- Outstanding interpersonal presence and communication; demonstrated ability to build senior-level partner relationships
- Strong work ethic and ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, flexible environment
- Successful people developer/leader; able to inspire, train and lead associates internal and external to GDI
- Expertise in our core issue areas (ageing, disability inclusion, vulnerable children and youth, mental health and well-being) is highly preferred
- Demonstrated leadership in cross-cultural and Chinese cultural environments
- Willing to be based in Shenzhen or Hong Kong, with regular travel to other cities in Mainland China
- Spoken/written business fluency in Mandarin/English is a must
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and close on April 30th, 2021 (HK Time)
- Please send your cover letter and resume in one PDF document (in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org using “Senior Manager” as the subject line.
- In your cover letter, please cite where you learned about this position.
- We will be in touch with suitable candidates by mid-May.
What’s GDI’s Greater China team culture like?
We value diverse and complementary strengths – we are a small team of 14, bringing together experiences from strategy consulting, top global foundations, Fortune 500 corporates, impact investing, and NGO management. Collectively we have lived in all continents except for Antarctica!
We collectively own our results and impact – if we see a problem, we own it. We don’t wait to be told what to do; we manage each other to outcomes, not processes, and we challenge ourselves constantly to confront if we’re really making an impact on the ground.
We engage authentically with ourselves and our partners – we respect one another and speak our views openly and candidly. Your opinion will be listened to, and you will be expected to speak your mind to anyone in the team, regardless of seniority.
We are “all-in” on Asia’s role in impact globally – we are excited and challenged by the growth of the social sector in China, and we look forward to building Asia-grown and led impact initiatives.
Now hiring at GDI and our incubated initiatives
If you have an idea, initiative, or organization that you think could work well with GDI, please contact email@example.com.