The Global Development Incubator (GDI) builds startups and partnerships to address some of the world’s toughest global development challenges. We play a mix of the strategist and implementer role to spin out new initiatives over 24–36 months. Throughout each stage of our process, we bring together the right partners across sectors—including corporations, nonprofits, governments, and foundations—to help game-changing ideas scale their impact and prepare them for long-term success. GDI has offices in Washington DC, New York, San Francisco, Hong Kong, and Nairobi.
The Senior Associate has a unique opportunity to contribute to GDI’s livelihood and employment initiatives that address persistent global challenges. Specifically, the Senior Associate will manage the communications strategy, lead on research and support strategy development and analysis. In a single day, the Senior Associate will be a researcher, analyst, strategist and program manager. As a key team member, the Senior Associate will conduct extensive research and analysis to support strategy development; participate in senior-level meetings; oversee the Communications strategy; support partners; manage work plans and workflows; and ensure all efforts are implemented for results. Reporting to the GDI Manager, GDI Senior Associates are expected to exercise a high degree of autonomy and take on significant responsibility.
Strategy and Analysis
- Conduct desk research on key themes/topics.
- Support the development of annual workplans and assist in the planning of mid-term and quarterly reviews, including developing slide decks and pre-read for partners.
- Organize monthly calls with partners, draft and finalize agenda, connect with presenters and develop slide decks.
- Update programs dashboard to track progress on key and strategic priorities.
Branding & Communications
- Oversee the development and launch of a website, including project scoping, vendor selection and project management.
- Manage the social media component, including development of LinkedIn Page and Twitter Channel and posting of regular information/knowledge sharing.
- Develop annual communications workplans.
- Develop “talking points”.
- Organize and co-facilitate communications workshops, working in close collaboration with GDI’s Communications Manager.
- Draft and disseminate quarterly newsletter, working on close collaboration with key partners.
- Host and co-facilitate monthly global communications Working Group.
- Ensure branding of publications, reports, guides and tools, working in close collaboration with partners.
Knowledge Management, Learning & Thought Leadership
- Support the development of guides, tools and templates.
- Assist with the implementation of the learning and thought leadership strategies.
- Identify a) key global conferences of relevance for partners to present at, in collaboration with GDI’s Communication Manager and b) external networks and/or community of practice for programs members to join.
- Conduct research leveraging the global network.
- Identify global peers in youth ecosystem for mutually beneficial collaboration and learning.
- Support the development and delivery of structured verbal and written communications.
- Develop high quality presentations and reports.
- Support the organization of high stakes meetings.
- Project Management and Operations
- Support the development of annual workplans and budgets.
- Process consultants’ contracts in timely fashion.
- Support fundraising efforts at the global and community levels, including conducting research, supporting strategy and budget development, and developing effective and high-quality slide decks.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 3–6 years of applicable work experience in management/strategic consulting or social impact organization.
- Strong analytical skills and strong inclination towards rigor with demonstrated ability to analyze quantitative and qualitative evidence.
- Excellent listening skills; strong interpersonal skills.
- Collaborative team contributor.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; Detailed oriented.
- Ability to self-manage work streams and tasks; self-directed and resourceful with high standards for quality output.
- A curious and creative intellect and a style that includes flexibility, levelness, and a sense of humor and humility.
Qualities of GDI Employees
- A relentless drive to get things done.
- Curious and entrepreneurial mindset.
- Passion for driving social impact and tackling the world’s biggest challenges in new ways.
GDI is only able to consider candidates who are legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship for an employment visa. If you are interested in this position and meet the qualifications above, please submit a single PDF document containing a one-page cover letter and resume.
Global Development Incubator is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Now hiring at GDI and our incubated initiatives
If you have an idea, initiative, or organization that you think could work well with GDI, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.