About this job
Be part of the team that brings impact at scale visions to reality.
When you join GDI, you join a unique team of mission-first pioneers who build start-ups, programs, funds, and partnerships to create impact at scale. Our East Asia portfolio works with partners who are as “all-in” as we achieve impact at scale across critical social issues in the region. We work with our partners end-to-end: from strategy to execution and incubation. We are highly selective and work with fewer projects over the longer term; our average engagement is 12-24 months.
Examples of the issues we are working on across Asia:
- Transforming education to better prepare children and youth for the future: We are working with funders in Hong Kong to co-create their strategy to transform education in multiple areas: preparing children for the digital future, the development of 21st century competencies, and prioritising well-being alongside academics.
- Preparing Hong Kong SAR for the rapidly ageing population: We are working with funders in Hong Kong to co-create their strategy for addressing the ageing population challenge, including strategies to maximise impact on dementia preparedness.
- Making society more inclusive for persons with disabilities: We incubated the Disability Impact Fund which is aiming to make blended investments in assistive technology and inclusive employment. As an example of DIF’s investments, we are investing ~1m USD in a game-changing, ultra low-cost $1 USD cost of parts hearing aid to reach the 72m persons who need it. DIF looks for opportunities to bridge the “valley of death” between research to market to make sure assistive tech can be re-designed at the price point and distribution level required for low, middle income countries where the vast majority lack access.
- Delivering social security to millions of internal migrant families in India: We are strategic partners to Jan Sahas to incubate the Migrants Resilience Collaborative (MRC) – a multi-stakeholder initiative reaching 10 million migrant workers and their families in 3 years to deliver social security, responsible recruitment and worker protection. Migrant families are amongst the hardest hit from the pandemic, and the social sector needs to respond with scale and speed;
We are seeking professionals who are passionate about solving the most challenging social problems in the region.
Senior Associates are the backbone of GDI’s work and are at the frontlines of the problem-solving designing, building and managing our initiatives. As a Senior Associate at GDI, you are expected to operate at senior levels, possess strong maturity, and be comfortable with a high degree of autonomy.
- Master and coach associates/analysts on foundational strategy consulting toolkit to deliver structured thinking, problem-solving, strategy development and a pathway to scale for initiatives in our portfolio
- Conduct research, data collection, and analysis to guide the team’s decisions
- Facilitate and directly support clients and partners in strategy development
- Manage work plans, tasks, and milestones for a variety of initiatives and engagements
- Facilitate implementation by coordinating activities of multiple partners and stakeholders
- Track risks, issues, and communicate directly with clients and partners
- Cultivate key relationships with executives at leading foundations, corporates, funders
- Actively pitch new ideas/projects to secure new business
- Collaborate closely with GDI senior leadership to help shape and execute the overall portfolio strategy
- Contribute actively to develop thought leadership
- Demonstrated passion for East Asia’s social impact issues and mission-alignment with GDI
- Proven team player and strong cultural fit with our values below
- Strong analytical and communication skills – experience with conducting research and quantitative/qualitative analysis and able to communicate the “so-what” clearly and concisely
- Strong work ethic and ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, flexible environment
- 5-8 years of professional experience with the following – strategy consulting and/or in-house strategy development (required), impact measurement and evaluation, non-for-profit organizations, accelerators/incubators
- Demonstrated understanding of Chinese culture and working environment
- Expertise in our core issue areas (ageing population, disadvantaged children and youth, mental health and well-being, disability inclusion, and social sector building) is advantageous
- Bachelor degree is required, and a Master degree in related fields is preferred
- Willing to be based in Hong Kong, with regular travel as needed
- Spoken/written business fluency in Cantonese/Mandarin/English is a must
How to Apply:
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and close on March 25th, 2021 (HK Time)
- Please send your cover letter and resume in one PDF document (in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org using “Senior Associate” as the subject line.
- In your cover letter, please cite where you learned about this position.
- We will be in touch with suitable candidates by mid-April.
What’s GDI’s team culture like?
We value diverse and complementary strengths – we are a close-knit team of 12, bringing together experiences from strategy consulting, top global foundations, Fortune 500 corporates, impact investing and NGO management. Collectively we have lived in all continents except for Antarctica!
We collectively own our results and impact – if we see a problem, we own it. We don’t wait to be told what to do; we manage each other to outcomes, not processes, and we challenge ourselves constantly to confront if we’re really making an impact on the ground.
We engage authentically with ourselves and our partners – we respect one another and speak our views openly and candidly. Your opinion will be listened to, and you will be expected to speak your mind to anyone in the team, regardless of seniority.
We are “all-in” on Asia’s role in impact globally – we are excited and challenged by the growth of the social sector in East Asia, and we look forward to building Asia-grown and led impact initiatives in the future.
What’s in it for you to join?
- Solve problems that have not been solved before that can create impact at scale for millions
- Steep learning curve and opportunities to take on significant responsibilities from day one
- Direct working opportunities with leaders in the social sector
- Dynamic start-up culture and work hard play hard environment
- Flexible working environment (opportunities to work remotely, casual dress policy)
- Competitive salary and benefits package
Now hiring at GDI and our incubated initiatives
If you have an idea, initiative, or organization that you think could work well with GDI, please contact email@example.com.