The Global Development Incubator (GDI) builds startups and partnerships to address some of the world’s toughest global development challenges. We play a mix of the strategist and implementer role to spin out new initiatives over 24–36 months. Throughout each stage of our process, we bring together the right partners across sectors—including corporations, nonprofits, governments, and foundations—to help game-changing ideas scale their impact and prepare them for long-term success. GDI has offices in Washington DC, New York, San Francisco, Hong Kong, and Nairobi.
The Project Accountant role is a unique opportunity to support a growing financial team at a lean and high performing organization. This position will be responsible for accurately maintaining the organization’s accounting records. Although you will work closely with your manager, the Project Accountant are expected to exercise a high degree of autonomy and take on significant responsibility.
- Manage all accounts payable including ensuring costs are appropriately documented and approved, entering transactions, and supporting the execution of payments.
- Maintain accounts receivable records, ensuring records are comprehensive and all payments are correctly applied.
- Develop and maintain online and paper filing systems for accounting files.
- Manage accounting schedules, and prepare and enter month end closing entries including allocation of costs and recognition of revenue.
- Collect and review timesheets to ensure timely processing.
- Prepare and upload payroll, tax, and benefits payments and serve as a primary point person for related vendors.
- Support procurement process, including serving as a resource on GDI policy and reviewing and maintaining relevant documentation.
- Liaise with field office staff, including the review of cash requests and reconciliation of field office expenditures.
- Support the annual audit and preparation of GDI tax forms and filings.
- Provide additional administrative or other support as requested.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance, and a minimum of two years of experience working in accounting or related field.
- Experience with General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Proficient with QuickBooks.
- An interest in learning new skill and growing in a non-profit environment.
- Strong organizational skill and attention to detail.
- Curious and entrepreneurial
- Razor-sharp problem-solving
- A relentless drive to get things
- Able to move fluidly between collaborative and independent work
- Adept at making assessments quickly and identifying the best course of
- Commitment to thinking critically and creatively about social
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position and meet the qualifications above, please submit a single PDF document containing a one-page cover letter and resume through this link.
Global Development Incubator is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.Apply now >
Now hiring at GDI and our incubated initiatives
If you have an idea, initiative, or organization that you think could work well with GDI, please contact email@example.com.