About this job
Aceli Africa is a market incentive facility to mobilize over $600M in private sector lending for agricultural SMEs in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda by 2025. To achieve this goal, Aceli Africa expects to provide $40M in financial incentives over the next five years to increase the risk appetite of 20+ global and local financial institutions to make loans ranging from USD $25K-$1.5M to inclusive agricultural SMEs. Financial incentives have been designed based on an original dataset that Aceli Africa gathered and analyzed in collaboration with Dalberg Advisors. Aceli will also facilitate technical assistance to expand the ability of high-potential SMEs to qualify for and manage financing as well as capacity building for lenders to serve this market. Over the next five years, Aceli aims to catalyze a more competitive lending market for agri-SMEs and demonstrate a model that can be scaled up in East Africa and beyond.
Aceli launched in September 2020 and is now seeking an Associate to join our Partnerships team. Aceli Africa is an initiative of the Global Development Incubator (GDI), a nonprofit incubator of social impact initiatives based in the United States with an affiliated entity based in Kenya; this position is being contracted by GDI Kenya.
The Associate will be a core member of Aceli Africa’s dynamic team, working across four key functions: Partnerships, Innovation, Impact & Learning, and Technical Assistance, and perform other duties as assigned. Aceli staff are expected to exercise a high degree of autonomy and take on significant responsibility.
Reporting to the Head of Partnerships, the Associate will also have significant interactions with, and is expected to support the Impact & Learning Manager and the Technical Assistance Manager, as well as other key members of the Aceli Africa team. S/he will be employed by GDI Kenya.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Assist in managing the broad network of Aceli’s partners, including managing logistics and communications with regional funders and local implementation/technical partners.
- Work across multiple program areas (Partnerships, Impact & Learning, Technical Assistance) to ensure successful implementation of partnerships.
- Play a support role in designing and implementing Aceli’s Innovation Facility.
- Manage Innovation Challenges (and other such related activities hosted within the Innovation Facility), starting with drafting calls for proposals, overseeing the proposal review and selection process, and managing Aceli’s relationship with the grantees throughout the lifecycle of the Innovation Challenges.
- In collaboration with the Impact & Learning Manager, develop and oversee the evaluation of activities under the Innovation program.
Impact & Learning
- Assist in mapping and coordinating verification exercises related to Aceli’s ESG policies.
- Provide support in organizing monitoring and evaluation plans for activities implemented through partnerships and those under direct implementation of the Impact & Learning Manager.
- Assist the TA Program Manager with recruiting SMEs and managing logistics.
- Support with vendor management as needed, including facilitating billing, reporting, and evaluation.
- Support the Impact Manager to oversee evaluation of activities such as generating baseline profiles and tracking indicators.
- A bachelor’s degree/equivalent in International Studies, Social Studies, Business Administration, or other relevant field;
- Minimum of five years of full-time project management and/or administrative experience;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Keen attention to detail;
- Curious and entrepreneurial mindset;
- Excellent time management with demonstrated ability to meet deadlines;
- Problem-solving skills with ability to learn quickly;
- Adaptable to fast-paced environment and able to prioritise work effectively and balance conflicting demands without close supervision;
- Knowledge of the international development sector and its institutions; familiarity with agri- finance and innovation in the Ag sector will be an added advantage;
- Personal commitment to having a positive impact on farmer livelihoods and economic development in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Global Development Incubator is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. East African nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role, please submit your application quoting in the subject line the Job Title “Program Associate – Partnerships Team, Aceli Africa”, and attach your detailed CV, cover letter stating your interest in and qualifications for the position, e-mail address and telephone contacts. Applications that do not include a cover letter tailored to this position will not be considered. The application deadline is 5pm East Africa time September 9, 2021.
Now hiring at GDI and our incubated initiatives
If you have an idea, initiative, or organization that you think could work well with GDI, please contact email@example.com.