About this job
Be part of the team that brings impact at scale visions to reality.
When you join GDI, you join a unique team of mission-first pioneers who build start-ups, programs, funds, and partnerships to create impact at scale. Our East Asia portfolio works with partners who are as “all-in” as we achieve impact at scale across critical social issues in the region. We work with our partners end-to-end: from strategy to execution and incubation. We are highly selective and work with fewer projects over the longer term; our average engagement is 12-24 months.
Examples of the issues we are working on across Asia:
- Scaling access to social services for vulnerable children, elderly and disabilities in mainland China: China’s social sector is early stage, but rapidly growing and there is a need to scale access to social services through the development of the local non profit ecosystem. We continue our long-term partnership with Narada Foundation on EPM to demonstrate new models for scaling social impact in China through replication. In four years, EPM has supported 49,477 distinct “replications” through 8,607 local community partners, reaching ~65m beneficiaries.
- Preparing Hong Kong SAR and Greater China for the rapidly ageing population: We are working with funders in Hong Kong to co-create their strategy for addressing the ageing population challenge, including strategies to maximise impact on dementia preparedness.
- Making society more inclusive for persons with disabilities: We incubated the Disability Impact Fund which is aiming to make blended investments in assistive technology and inclusive employment. As an example of DIF’s investments, we are investing ~1m USD in a game-changing, ultra low-cost $1 USD cost of parts hearing aid to reach the 72m persons who need it. DIF looks for opportunities to bridge the “valley of death” between research to market to make sure assistive tech can be re-designed at the price point and distribution level required for low, middle income countries where the vast majority lack access.
- Improving the well-being and mental health of Hong Kong’s students: In the face of growing mental health challenges amongst students, we are working with funders to review efforts in Positive Education in Hong Kong to demonstrate how schools can focus both on student well-being and academic performance.
- Delivering social security to millions of internal migrant families in India: We are strategic partners to Jan Sahas to incubate the Migrants Resilience Collaborative (MRC) – a multi-stakeholder initiative reaching 10 million migrant workers and their families in 3 years to deliver social security, responsible recruitment and worker protection. Migrant families are amongst the hardest hit from the pandemic, and the social sector needs to respond with scale and speed;
We are growing and strengthening our initiatives in the above issue areas, and therefore, we are looking to recruit a Manager/ Senior Manager to head our Project Design, Monitoring and Evaluation (DM&E) capabilities. We are looking for a unique blend of front-line non profit field experience and a solid technical foundation in DM&E. The ideal candidate is an action-oriented pragmatist at heart, with the technical skill to hold their own with academics.
You will be designing projects with GDI’s partners, evaluating active proposals and ongoing projects while building organizational and staff capacity in project design and evaluation. Directly reporting to the Managing Director, you will be part of the GDI East Asia management and leadership team to shape the organization’s strategy and build its future.
- Lead Project Design, Monitoring and Evaluation (DM&E)
- Lead DM&E efforts for the East Asia portfolio, including developing Theories of Change, KPI management frameworks, evaluation designs (quasi-experimental), baseline assessments, and evaluation execution;
- In collaboration with our partners (foundations, academics, frontline NPOs) to develop grant proposals and field-based pilots to prove / disprove our hypotheses and develop an evidence-base on what works;
- Support our frontline partners on implementing baseline studies, monitoring and evaluation, ensuring quality methodology and analysis as well as timely delivery;
- Develop high-quality evidence-based impact reports to improve program performance for our partners and report to funders.
- Lead internal impact tracking and DM&E learning
- Track performance of GDI incubated programs, ensuring strategic alignment with the mission of GDI East Asia;
- Identify cutting-edge, practitioner-oriented program assessment, design, monitoring & evaluation methodologies and models relevant to our core issue areas (ageing, disability inclusion, vulnerable children and youth, mental health and well-being).
- Build DM&E capacity internally and externally
- Build long-term partnerships with potential research and analytics firms, and individuals across the East Asia portfolio;
- Assess DM&E technical capacity of GDI staff and field staff of our partners and provide appropriate training accordingly.
- Masters or PhD degree in international development, public policy, statistics or related field, with additional qualifications and experience in Design, Monitoring and Evaluation (DM&E)
- 7-10 years of professional experience with the following:
- Field-based experience in project design, management and implementation with non profit organisations or similar
- Professional DM&E delivery with foundations, or impact consulting firms
- At least 3 years in a DM&E management role, with strong experience leading and managing teams
- Expertise in our core issue areas (ageing, disability inclusion, vulnerable children and youth, mental health and well-being) is highly preferred
- Strong knowledge of DM&E methodologies (project design frameworks and methods, mixed methods research, human centred design, experimental and non experimental design etc.) and data analysis software (e.g., R, STATA, SPSS, etc.)
- Outstanding interpersonal presence and communication; demonstrated ability to build senior-level partner relationships
- Successful people developer/leader; able to inspire, train and lead
- Proven team player, demonstrated passion for Greater China’s social issues and mission-alignment
- Strong work ethic and ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, flexible environment
- Spoken/written business fluency in English AND Chinese is a must (Cantonese or Mandarin)
How to Apply:
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and close on Friday, January 29th, 2021 (Hong Kong Time)
- Please send your cover letter and resume in one PDF document (in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org using “Manager/Senior Manager (DM&E)” as the subject line.
- In your cover letter, please cite where you learned about this position.
- We will be in touch with suitable candidates by mid-February 2021.
Now hiring at GDI and our incubated initiatives
If you have an idea, initiative, or organization that you think could work well with GDI, please contact email@example.com.