About this job
The Global Development Incubator (GDI) is a venture-builder for social impact at scale.
We build non-profit ventures that improve the lives of millions of vulnerable people. We launch impact investment / philanthropic funds and innovative financing vehicles in the tens of millions USD for underserved issue areas. We blend strategy and execution to launch or transform systems change initiatives over 24-36 months.
Across Asia, we dive deep into issue-areas including education, migration and livelihoods, and health/mental health, to develop a portfolio of strategic bets that we bring to life through our process. Read more about our work at www.globaldevincubator.org.
GDI is growing in India and is looking to recruit ~2 Managers / Senior Managers into our leadership team. Managers in GDI are immediate leadership/management team members of various disciplines that deploy into our ventures/collaboratives/funds for 24-36 months to rapidly scale up impact. A good example is our strategic partnership with Jan Sahas to build the Migrants Resilience Collaborative (MRC). We seconded 3 managers/senior managers to provide immediate capabilities in strategy, operations and partnerships. In 18 months (post the first COVID lockdown), MRC has enabled 1.9 million migrant families to access cash/non-cash social security benefits. This represents a 40x growth on pre-MRC execution capacity.
We believe that any good team needs diverse strengths and for this reason, we do not operate a “pyramid model” where teams build mainly a strategy skillset. Rather, our model is more like an operational PE model, which leverages different strengths to grow its portfolio. We welcome managers of different backgrounds including entrepreneurship, strategy consulting, impact investment, general management, operations, talent, research, and evaluation.
While backgrounds may be different, what we’re looking for is this common DNA:
- Believes that impact at scale comes with long-term commitment and depth of experience/expertise: keen to go on the journey with partners to get things done at scale;
- Able to and excited to work with partners from vastly different backgrounds: from grassroots NGOs to foundation boards (has the humility and self-awareness to learn from everyone regardless of background and status) etc.;
- Strategic and wants to double down on 3-4 big bets over 3-5 years vs. celebrating doing 20 projects a year;
- Willing to “roll up their sleeves” and get to the nitty-gritty of operations and people management to get things done
- Are truly entrepreneurial and love building teams and talent
The ideal candidates would also bring subject matter expertise and experience to the following areas in India:
- Migration and Livelihoods
- Grassroots NGO development
- Financial Inclusion
- Health and Mental Health
For this recruitment round, we have a higher priority on the first three areas listed above.
Candidates must have existing authorization to work in India without sponsorship by GDI. The position will be in a major city in India, and involve frequent domestic travel, especially to Delhi and Mumbai.
Generally speaking, Managers / Senior Managers have had at least 8 years professional work experience since their Bachelors degree or at least 5 years since their Post-Graduate degrees.
How to Apply
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the first round of recruitment will close on May 6th 2022;
- Please send your cover letter and resume in one PDF document (in English) to email@example.com using “Manager / Senior Manager – India” as the subject line.
- In your cover letter, please cite where you learned about this position.
Now hiring at GDI and our incubated initiatives
If you have an idea, initiative, or organization that you think could work well with GDI, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.