About this job
Aceli Africa is a market-enabling facility to mobilize over $600M in private-sector lending for agricultural SMEs in Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda, and Tanzania by 2025. To achieve this goal, Aceli Africa will provide financial incentives to increase the risk appetite of 25+ financial institutions (both global and local) to make loans ranging from USD $25K-$1.5M to inclusive agricultural SMEs while also facilitating technical assistance to expand the ability of high-potential SMEs to qualify for and manage financing.
Financial incentives have been designed based on a dataset that Aceli Africa gathered and analyzed in collaboration with Dalberg Advisors. This data incorporates loan-level and portfolio-level profitability for agricultural SME lending from 35+ financial institutions, including commercial banks, local non-bank financial institutions, and global social lenders, and covers 22,000+ transactions totaling $4.4B+.
Aceli launched in September 2020 and is now seeking a Manager in our Product and Operations team. To date, Aceli has secured $62M for activities in the four initial focus countries for 2020-25 from the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, IKEA Foundation, Swiss Development Corporation, UK FCDO, USAID, and other leading funders. Aceli Africa is an initiative of the Global Development Incubator (GDI), a nonprofit incubator of social impact initiatives based in the United States with an affiliated entity based in Kenya; this position is being contracted by GDI Kenya.
Start Date: February 20, 2023
The role holder will be a core member of Aceli Africa’s dynamic and growing team and will be responsible for administering Aceli’s financial incentives program to unlock financing for agri-SMEs. The incumbent must have experience in business analytics, and team leadership and be adept at engaging a range of stakeholders from commercial banks and other lenders serving agricultural SMEs to data and learning partners, and donors. The role will report to the Head of Product and Operations and is a full-time position with GDI Kenya, a non-profit entity registered under Kenyan law and affiliated with GDI US.
- Manage the review and processing of agri-SMEs loans registered for financial incentives with Aceli (~400 loans in 2022, expected to increase to 1,000+ by 2025)
- Lead a team of analysts reviewing loans registered for incentives to optimize productivity and turnaround time within quality standards
- Manage relationships with third-party vendors supporting Aceli’s Salesforce-based technology platform where incentives are registered
- Create and refine reports and dashboards to provide insights for internal management and external communication with donors and other stakeholders
- Ensure incentives earned by partner lending institutions are accurately calculated and paid in a timely manner quarterly
- Work closely with Aceli country representatives to ensure partner lending institutions have a good understanding of Aceli financial incentives and their onboarding to the program is seamless
- Provide partner lending institutions with periodic reports on their earned financial incentives and address any related queries in coordination with Aceli country representatives
- Create or adapt internal documentation (including policies and guidelines) and tools to improve financial incentives management and training for partner lending institutions
- Practice the highest degree of professionalism and integrity to build Aceli Africa’s excellent reputation
- Collaborate with the Aceli team at the regional and global levels to ensure that all of the above responsibilities are well-coordinated with Aceli’s strategic priorities and operating processes
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Finance, Economics, Management, or similar fields;
- Minimum of 8 years of professional experience in East Africa;
- Demonstrated financial modeling skills and knowledge of business intelligence tools;
- Strategic thinker who is adept at connecting big-picture objectives with an action orientation;
- Go-getter who takes initiative and can work independently and collaborate with a multi-country team in a rapidly evolving environment;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and relationship management skills;
- Professional with a demonstrated record of the highest integrity and ethical conduct;
- Keen interest and understanding of the agricultural finance market in East Africa, and;
- Passion for applying financial and business acumen to have a positive impact on inclusive and environmentally sustainable agricultural development in East Africa.
Global Development Incubator is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. East African nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you believe you can demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role, please submit your application to Mercy Limo email@example.com quoting in the subject line the Job Title “Manager – Product & Operations, Aceli Africa,” and attach your detailed CV, cover letter stating your interest in and qualifications for the position, e-mail address and telephone contacts. Applications that do not include a cover letter tailored to this position will not be considered. The application deadline is 5pm East Africa time Monday, January 06, 2023.
Now hiring at GDI and our incubated initiatives
If you have an idea, initiative, or organization that you think could work well with GDI, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.