About this job
About Labor Mobility Partnerships (LaMP)
LaMP’s vision is a world in which the global poor have exponentially greater opportunity for economic advancement. To get there, our goal is to dramatically increase the scale and quality of labor mobility programs globally.
LaMP is a field-builder developing large-scale, long-term solutions for workers to access quality jobs across borders. Our mission is to catalyze a functional ecosystem of actors implementing safe and reliable mobility pathways, creating value for workers, employers, and economies along the way.
Some global context: OECD countries are rapidly aging, facing a gap of 383 million workers by 2050 to maintain their current economic structure. Meanwhile, workers in developing countries need jobs, and those who manage to secure work in OECD countries can expect to increase their income by 6 to 15 times. Improving labor mobility systems globally will benefit all actors involved — for the worker who gains quality employment and dramatically improves their income, for the receiving country which receives needed workers, and for the sending country which receives remittances and needed employment opportunities.
LaMP is a dynamic start-up that, over the next year, will focus on delivering proof of concept, providing technical assistance and developing necessary tools, developing right-sized evidence for policy influence, and building a global coalition of multi-sector actors committed to scaling quality labor mobility.
LaMP is looking to add a member to its small-but-mighty “proof of concept” team, to help identify, shape, and deliver on opportunities to demonstrate the power of quality labor mobility at scale. This is an opportunity to take on a significant degree of leadership and ownership in a rapidly growing and adapting organization with audacious goals. Candidates must be able to proactively self-manage his/her spheres, while working fluidly with the rest of the team.
Core responsibilities include:
- Conduct opportunity analysis and scoping, both externally (via market data for example) and internally (via other colleagues), to identify the highest-potential opportunities to influence and/or deliver a quality, scaled labor mobility program with relevant “receiving country” governments and/or employer representatives, with a particular focus on countries in the European Union (EU)
- Develop the relationships and products (concept notes, proposals, etc) necessary to pursue these opportunities with accountability for successful relationship management of secured partners
- Rapidly self-educate on new sectors, geographies, etc in order to credibly build relationships and shape opportunities based on context-relevant perspective and knowledge
- Identify and pursue leads for external project funding, where needed
- Once project is live, ensure successful project management and delivery, coordinating other resources as necessary (e.g. procuring and managing external consultants); oversee and quality assure project management
- Collaborate closely with Policy, Advocacy, & Outreach lead to extract learning and insights and repackage for purposes of policy influence and knowledge dissemination
We have a strong preference for candidates with direct work experience in EU-based markets and/or government. It is ideal — but not required — that candidates also reside in the EU; LaMP is only able to consider candidates who are legally authorized to work in their country of residence without sponsorship for an employment visa.
- 8+ years experience, including at least several years of developing and managing external partnerships with business and/or government counterparts in the EU and direct exposure to and networks within labor force management and labor mobility fields
- Track record of engaging stakeholders across public and private sectors to successfully develop working collaborations
- French, Arabic, and/or Spanish language skills highly desirable
- Experience developing solid grounding in multiple new subject matters in a short period of time, such as experience in strategy consulting or a related field
- Demonstrated examples of being an entrepreneurial self-starter and identifying creative but pragmatic solutions to sticky problems
- Ability to advance projects with hands-off supervision while being accountable for the quality of outputs
- Demonstrated professional interest and commitment to creating economic opportunity for marginalized individuals and communities globally
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to present complex information in clear, synthesized formats
Our team recognizes that the impact we are able to achieve is fundamentally tied to the values which influence how we conduct ourselves as an organization. Because of this, the successful candidate will also demonstrate LaMP’s core values: (1) relentless and urgent pursuit of impact; (2) integrity and excellence in the details; (3) individual responsibility and ownership in all matters; (4) solution-oriented when identifying problems; and (5) deep respect, both towards our partners and stakeholders and within the team.
Now hiring at GDI and our incubated initiatives
If you have an idea, initiative, or organization that you think could work well with GDI, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.